Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (25m) mother (61f) uses silent treatment to induce guilt over trivial things

This has gone on all my life. Something seemingly small would occur and my mother would not speak to me for days and act very hurt and ask why I hated her until she would finally forgive me.

Most recently it happened when my girlfriend was here. We usually get our own food, and my parents both already had dinner without us. She knew we were going to get takeout with my sister but when she saw us eating she acted hurt that we hadn't asked her if she wanted a second dinner with us. She had spoken to us before and knew we were doing it and didn't mention wanting anything, and she told my sister to get food with us as her and my father had already eaten. I'm guessing it's because she liked the restaurant we ended up going to so now she thinks it's a conspiracy we planned without her.

We knew what was coming and sure enough she has been refusing to speak to us since, and refusing attempts at reconciliation and will randomly ask us why we hate her but refuse to engage in any kind of meaningful conversation about why she's upset. She hasn't even said why she's not speaking to us beyond the one comment when we were eating.

This happens for completely random things at random times. For instance, one time she disagreed with the way I was cooking food for myself and when I explained why I was cooking it the way I was, she locked herself in her room and didn't speak to me for two days. I used to smoke weed a lot and she never cared, and used cannabis products herself, but at one point when I had friends over she gave us the silent treatment when I was introducing them because she had smelled weed on them. She didn't say that was why at the time so it was just an incredibly awkward encounter.

I remember this happening as a young child quite often, it's very confusing and I think as a child made me feel incredibly guilty for hurting her but now has me getting angry at a very transparent manipulation technique, but I'm not sure on what level she understands what she's doing. I don't really know how to tackle it because any mention of any wrongdoing on her part just results in another few days of silent treatment.

[TL;DR] my mother ices me out for days over little things so we can't talk about them and then will just 'forgive' me a few days later.



Submitted May 27, 2021 at 07:54AM by colossalmickey https://ift.tt/3hWof1L
My (25m) mother (61f) uses silent treatment to induce guilt over trivial things My (25m) mother (61f) uses silent treatment to induce guilt over trivial things Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on May 28, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.