Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

For months, my roommate's cooking has smelled very acidic. Now, I know why. Should I speak to him?

I (25M) rent a room in a house's 2nd floor. A few months ago, a new roommate (26-ish M) moved in. I wouldn't say we're friends, but we're always polite to each other and split up chores amiably.

Here's the deal: My roommate cooks for himself a few days a week, and it often fills the apartment with this strong acidic smell. For months, I wondered what it was. He comes from a different culture (moved to the US a few months ago), so I always assumed it was just a type of cooking I wasn't familiar with. But his cupboard was left open the other day and I saw an opened bottle of tomato sauce sitting on the shelf. I ignored it at the time, but today I saw him rinsing the bottle out and caught that same strongly acidic smell in the air.

Essentially, I think his tomato sauce (just a big bottle of Ragu) has fermented while sitting unrefrigerated on the shelf. Bacteria inside must have produced a lot of lactic acid and that's why it has always smelled so acidic.

I don't know whether or not this is something I should talk with him about. Perhaps, tomato sauce isn't refrigerated in his home country, or maybe tomato sauce is thought to always be that acidic. I don't know. I mean, is it hurting him?

tldr: My roommate does not refrigerate his tomato sauce after opening it. Every time he cooks, it fills the apartment with a strong acidic smell. I think it has fermented.

Questions

Is this something I should let go?

Or should I recommend he refrigerate his tomato sauce? If so, how would you go about it?



Submitted April 06, 2020 at 01:47PM by commonpursuit https://ift.tt/2V3eLVk
For months, my roommate's cooking has smelled very acidic. Now, I know why. Should I speak to him? For months, my roommate's cooking has smelled very acidic. Now, I know why. Should I speak to him? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on April 06, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.