Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I [32M] don't think I should have to help my gf [31F] with her car note

Some background: my gf bought her car brand new, a Ford Fiesta. IDK how/why but her note was about $350. These were TERRIBLE cars, plagued by transmission issues that Ford refused to replace, to the point there was a lawsuit to force them to recall the cars but Ford won the legal battle. Her car was 200 miles below the limit for warranty repairs, but was experiencing other issues. The dealer wanted some crazy amount just to look at it, I can't recall, and the warranty of course only covered certain parts of the repair. We would've been out a few thousand and still had a totally unreliable car.

So when my gf's car plunked out, we needed to get her a vehicle immediately. It had to be reliable, she has an older daughter and at that time our newborn was 6 months old. I'm a firm believer that you work within your budget, but if you're going to be stuck in a car payment you damn sure better love what you drive.

She really wanted a Honda CRV. After rolling over the debt from the old car, the note would be about $400 a month, we added the extended warranty and got to $500 a month. I promised her I would "make her whole" meaning I would make up the difference between what she's accustomed to paying (350) and what the new note is (500). Which put me on the hook for $150 a month.

So everything is flowing smoothly. A few months go by and we get great news. Her oldest daughter earned a scholarship to an amazing dance school. She was paying $200 a month to another dance school, and now that her daughter has this full ride, she's now paying nothing for dance school. That's +200 back in her pocket. She literally went on and on for weeks about being liberated from that dance school payment.

I'm like awesome, you can carry the car note on your own and you're still +50 in cashflow.

Obviously, she disagrees.

I can't even reasonably represent her contention because I don't really understand it. Something about she wasn't expecting that money or something like that, idk.

At the end of the day, my help is a sacrifice. I'm taking away from my own goals while you... blow the money on whatever? If she were to get a raise or whatever, I feel like that automatically means she assumes the full load of the debt. It doesn't seem fair that her income or expenses can become more favorable but she still tries to hold me to an old commitment.

TL;DR My gf's circumstances changed, allowing her to cover a debt I initially offered to help with. Even with extra money in her pocket every month, she's trying to hold me to the initial commitment. I feel this is wrong.



Submitted November 29, 2018 at 06:53AM by bobbito313 https://ift.tt/2E3GwHi
I [32M] don't think I should have to help my gf [31F] with her car note I [32M] don't think I should have to help my gf [31F] with her car note Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on November 29, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.