Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

How do I (27F) politely get my housemate (35M) to a stop asking me about children? [non-romantic]

I live with a young family, a couple in their early thirties (33F & 35M) and their 2-year-old (M). I have lived in my current living situation for about 12 months. It is a really nice place and I have a private room for cheap in a high cost of living area, so I don't wish to move.

My only (small) issue is with the husband, I'll call him Jake. I met Jake at martial arts gym but only knew him casually. I happened to mention to another person that I needed to move and Jake overheard. He suggested that I met his wife and kid to see if I could move in. Wife was okay with me so I moved in.

Since I've lived there Jake won't stop asking me about children. He has been asking things like when I plan on having any or inferring that I will have children. Saying things like "when you have children" or questioning me a ton when I've tried to deflect the question. Normally when someone asks me about children I tell them to ask me again in 10-20 years or tell them I'm too young to have children. I don't know how I feel about having children (one day) but I know its a no right now. I also have a family history of mental illness so I am strongly leaning towards not having children (which I've told Jake at one point). Most people drop it after one conversation about not being currently interested but housemate won't stop asking about it. It is starting to make me very uncomfortable. At first, I thought he was worried I was going to have a kid and continue to live in their spare bedroom but it seems more that he is offended that I don't want to have the kid conversation or wants me to say I want children. I have had the I don't want kids/I don't want to talk to you about kids conversation (full conversation) at least 8-10 times so I don't think he is forgetting my answer.

I don't know how to tell Jake to stop asking me about children. I really don't want to hurt his feelings but I need this to stop, its making me uncomfortable and Its actually hurting my self-esteem that I am not sticking up for myself. I also worry that if he does this to me, he could do this to other women.

tldr; Housemate won't stop asking me about children despite continual conversations about me not wanting children or not wanting to have the conversation with him.



Submitted November 29, 2018 at 11:50AM by Mr_Chai https://ift.tt/2KKaAIu
How do I (27F) politely get my housemate (35M) to a stop asking me about children? [non-romantic] How do I (27F) politely get my housemate (35M) to a stop asking me about children? [non-romantic] Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on November 29, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.