Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Co worker won't shut up

Hello folks! Here is my problem:

I (37f)work in a very small office and most of the time it's just my colleague and I. The problem is my colleague(55f) has alot of energy, moves around alot and is quite noisy... She talks extremely loud and because of high ceilings the space is echo. When not talking to me, she will: speak to herself( in a regular convo volum) and/ or tap her feet and/ or put loud music and/or wistle and/or make noise with what ever she can find or just simply walk with heavy feet even though she is barely 5' 100pounds.

Just to be clear, its not like does people druming a pen to a beat or humming a song to themselves, it's rather really predominent and disorganised as she will move to one type of noise and then to the other and so on.

I am usually ok with chatty people and I talk quite loud myself but this os more than I can tolerate on a daily basis and it is making me impatient towards her.

Even though I have approaches the subject a few times with her as her manager and pointing out the need for concentration on her work, listening more rather than having devided attention causing her to assume or not properly follow indications because she was not concentrated enough to listen. In order to help control the multiple daily outbursts i give her alot of attention, spend about 30 minutes a day talking about her private stuff as i have come to realise that the noise situation is worst when she is bothered by something and I make sure she has a few tasks away from her desk per day so she can actually move and spend some energy.

I have to be honnest: it is not enough

I now find myself sitting in my car in the morning taking 1 (or 100! ) deep breathes before stepping in the office as I had to put in place the"no-talking until-I-have-taken-my-coat-off" rule ( she did start talking to me in the parking lot a few times--- I was not even parked!!)I sometimes keep my coat on for longer than needed just fpr a few extra minutes of silence before the daily flood starts. I sometimes put my noise cancelling headphones even if there is no music, and I even jockingly put her in time out "no talking" for 30 minutes but she can only reach the 6 minutes mark at best.

At this point I have come to suspect she is hyperactive but also, because she has had a hard life and has abandonment issus amongst other things, she has a hard time being alone and has to fill the void that is created by sweet sweet silence with constant noise.

Now. I m no therapist and she refuses to see one but I have come to smooth out some of her quirks by adressing emotionnal issues behind some of her behavior. That being said, I dont know how I can help myself by helping her understand her need of noise.

Should I just work more on myself and try to be more patient and tolerant?

Any anxious noise filling peeps out there with some insight?

Tl;dr: co worker can't stand silence and it is making everyday work difficult



Submitted November 28, 2018 at 07:03AM by vixxen_barnicle https://ift.tt/2E1yMFB
Co worker won't shut up Co worker won't shut up Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on November 29, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.