Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Parents announced that all the money they've saved for college is going to my sister [16F] because I [17F] have a rich half-brother [29M].

History:

2001: Bio dad cheated on his wife with my mom who was his coworker and I was born. He wanted nothing to do with me.

2002: His wife commits suicide.

2004: My mom marries my step-father who has a daughter (my step-sister). We live as a family of four. He's my dad, she's my sister, my mom is her mom. My bio dad or her bio mom are completely out of the picture.

2015: my bio dad dies and leaves a lot of money for his son.

2016: I begin to get to know my half brother, get close to him and grow a bond. He's really interested as I'm the only family he has left.

They've always told us that they're saving money for our college. I never knew how much or under what conditions we'd get access to it, but always assumed it will be evenly split between me and my sister no matter how big or small it is. Even if they've only saved $1000 I would be happy if either of us got $500, we'll then manage.

They however announced that they've saved over $110k and the money will only be my sister's, because I have a rich brother who will cover college for me anyway. I haven't at all talked to him about college and I've never asked him for money and I'll be very uncomfortable doing so. I care about him, he suffers from depression, is in a lonely place and I don't want him to feel like I'm after his money or that my presence in his life is conditional on getting money.

I don't want to be entitled, I know my parents don't owe me college money but I don't like this situation at all and I feel like I'm being punished for starting and maintaining a connection with my brother. They wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't seeing him and they keep telling me it's 100% okay for me to bring up money with him. I feel like doing that can change the way he looks at me.

I don't know what to do. Help please? Should I try to convince my parents again that this is a bad idea? Do I just suck it up, accept that my parents won't support me and get loans like most other people?

Thanks.


tl;dr: Parents saved over $110k for college for me and my sister, announced that all of it is going to her because I have a rich brother who I can get money from. I've never talked to him about money and I'm uncomfortable doing so. What should I do?



Submitted October 28, 2018 at 02:37PM by FormalIroness https://ift.tt/2JpsKyI
Parents announced that all the money they've saved for college is going to my sister [16F] because I [17F] have a rich half-brother [29M]. Parents announced that all the money they've saved for college is going to my sister [16F] because I [17F] have a rich half-brother [29M]. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 28, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.