Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My boyfriend (28M) has been collecting my (24F) rent for a free house

I've been living with my boyfriend for a year. I'm a graduate student so I have a very minimal income and I'm very upset about this but my boyfriend says he was trying to do something nice.

My boyfriend and I moved in together to a house that he found. He arranged all the landlord stuff and told me to send $1000/month to the landlord's bank account (this is a very normal rent for our area, but I could have probably spent less if I'd lived in an apartment.) I have been doing so for the last year, only to find out yesterday from his mom that his parents actually own the house and they aren't charging us rent.

Upon hearing this, I asked my boyfriend about the $13k that he has had me send to some account, and he told me that he was doing it for me as a gift to give back later so I could "see how much I've saved."

I'm livid. I'm not irresponsible with money; I have no debt and I even have some savings. Over the last year, there have been things I've had to miss out on because they just weren't financially feasible without this money. There have been some times when I couldn't get my tires replaced, or couldn't get a new blazer to replace my threadbare one so my boyfriend got to swoop in and save the day. It always made me feel so bad that he could live just fine on his salary (not THAT much higher than mine) but I couldn't live well on mine. Now I know it's because he was spending $1000 less than I was every month.

I don't know what to do. I feel upset and uncomfortable about the whole situation but my boyfriend won't listen to me. He keeps saying that this was supposed to be a surprise gift and I'm taking it the wrong way. I don't know what to think. Am I overreacting?

TL;DR boyfriend has been collecting rent for a free house and putting it into an account to give to me later even though I've been struggling to keep up with the "rent" payments

Edit to clarify that his parents didn't seem to know anything about this and were under the impression that neither of us was paying rent.



Submitted August 31, 2018 at 08:37AM by bf_throwaway137 https://ift.tt/2PS3eop
My boyfriend (28M) has been collecting my (24F) rent for a free house My boyfriend (28M) has been collecting my (24F) rent for a free house Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on August 31, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.