Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I [28F] am concerned about my boyfriend's hygiene. [25M]

Hi Reddit, please give me some advice on this one.

​

I've been with my boyfriend for a couple of months after being friends for six months or so. Normal pre-requisite comments, he's lovely, we're happy, everything is perfect on the relationship front. I care about him a great deal and we work well as a couple.

​

About three weeks into the relationship when we started doing frequent stayovers at each other's homes, I became slowly conscious of the fact that... he never seemed to shower. He was never noticeably dirty or smelly or gross, so it took a little while for me to realise that I could spend three-four days with him, during which I'd grab one or two showers, but he never would.

I also started to notice that... he doesn't really groom himself very well. His beard and moustache are often unkempt, with stray hairs creeping up his cheeks, and a monobrow.

Shortly after that, I started noticing that he doesn't seem to brush his teeth every day. He does do it, but only every couple of days, and - I could be being snippy here - he doesn't seem to brush all that hard or well. His teeth occasionally get kinda gross, much as I hate to say it.

​

I broached the topic gently, and he got very uncomfortable. I already knew that he still sort-of "in recovery" from a long period of serious depression and anxiety and re-learning how to live properly. He told me that he often can't find the motivation to groom and care for himself, and his self-esteem is very low. He also seemingly gets weirdly anxious about having a shower for reasons he struggles to articulate, exacerbated by the fact that he's currently living in a shared house with a shared - and frankly, kinda gross - shower. As a result, he **never** showers. He tells me he does periodic washcloth washes at the sink in his private room, but is rarely able to wash his hair or the rest of his body. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to tell; occasionally I've noticed that he doesn't seem super fresh and clean, but I never would have imagined "never showers ever".

​

In short: He's aware that his personal hygiene isn't the greatest, but he's currently struggling to find the motivation to improve. His self-esteem is quite low.

​

At the time, I tried to be understanding and patient. I offered him the use of my shower (I have an entire apartment, so my shower is not used by anyone else), which he said he would consider. I thought the situation was resolved and it was something we'd work on.

​

... Well, Reddit, several weeks have passed. Not only has his personal hygiene not improved at all, but we were fooling around before work this morning. I semi-jokingly rolled him over to kiss his butt, and while I was in the area, I noticed, erm... well, let's say I don't think he wiped very thoroughly, and it had dried in the crack. I was pretty immediately grossed out and fooling around ceased. I played it off as us having to get ready for work, but honestly, Reddit, I think I've hit my line on how much bad personal hygiene I can tolerate. I was concerned and had wanted him to step up his hygiene game before, but now I'm actively grossed out.

​

I plan on bringing up this very uncomfortable topic at some point in the next day or two - possibly over text so I can save him some embarrassment, but I'm concerned that it's not going to change anything.

​

Does anyone have any advice for me?

​

tl;dr new-ish boyfriend's personal hygiene and grooming standards are bad. just discovered things are worse than I thought and now desperately need to be addressed if the relationship is gonna continue



Submitted August 30, 2018 at 08:32AM by HopefulPurchase https://ift.tt/2wnSia3
I [28F] am concerned about my boyfriend's hygiene. [25M] I [28F] am concerned about my boyfriend's hygiene. [25M] Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on August 30, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.