Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

An old friend (30sF) recently contacted me (30M) in a creepy/cringey way - how do I react properly?

Hi!

When I was a teen (around 15), I was super into the goth and emo scene, which made me kind of an outsider at school - I was bullied and didn't have a lot of friends. Being closeted gay didn't make things easier. I started to use a website for similar minded people where I met "Sophie". We started messaging, liked the same bands, had the same problems with school and our parents and we became close friends. We messaged almost non stop and she was there whenever I was down and I tried to do the same for her. I think she developed a crush on me but she knew that I'm gay. She even visited me once and we had a really good time together and we joked that we would share a flat in a big city someday. Our friendship lasted about three intense years - I don't even know how things ended. The was no fallout or anything, I guess we both just grew up, left home to study and found new friends.I kinda forgot about her, to be honest. In the beginning, I wondered what she was up to or if I should try to contact her, but I never did.

Fast forward to 2019 - I'm 30, openly gay and have an awesome boyfriend and haven't thought of Sophie in 10 years. I just recently changed jobs but am still on good terms with my old workplace. Three weeks ago, a colleague from said old job messaged me that they received a letter for me and I "reaaaally needed to get it 😂". The thing is: all our work mail goes to a central department, where the letters are opened and then sorted by name. I headed over the next day and lo and behold - it's a letter from Sophie. She must have googled my name and found the company I worked at and then send the letter to our central address. It's a long, kitschy, emo poem on one page, on the other it's just "do you still think of me sometimes? I think of you all the time". I was extremely embarrassed, grabbed the letter and went home. Since then, a similar letter arrived every week but without a sender address (unlike the first one), so I can't have them sent back.

I really don't know how to handle this. To be honest, I'm not really interested in this friendship anymore, it's been such a long time ago and I don't know if we have that much in common anymore. Judging from her letters, she's still stuck in the same mindset when we were teenagers. I also feel like this whole thing is really weird and creepy, my old co workers are stuck between making (friendly) fun of me and starting to wonder if I have a stalker.

Should I ignore this? Should I send her a letter back or will a rejection of any kind escalate this behaviour? Am I unreasonably mean and should I just give her a chance?

tl;dr: An old friend from when I was a teen recently contacted me at my old workplace by sending cringey letters. I'm not really interested in having any contact with her. What should I do?



Submitted September 06, 2019 at 12:52AM by oconnorthegoner https://ift.tt/2UFfJ9O
An old friend (30sF) recently contacted me (30M) in a creepy/cringey way - how do I react properly? An old friend (30sF) recently contacted me (30M) in a creepy/cringey way - how do I react properly? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 06, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.