Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My(31F) husband(31M) wants to disinherit any future adopted grandchildren. I don't. What do I do?

We recently came into a windfall and are setting up trusts for our children and grandchildren. We do not currently have any grandchildren. But wanted to set up a trust where they can access money for education, medical expenses, hardship (in case they become unemployed or homeless) etc. It's a substantial 7 figure amount and will be even bigger by the time the hypothetical grandchildren can access them. We're all on agreement on most things but he insists that the trust only applies to our biological grandchildren and not any step grandchildren or adopted grandchildren. When I insisted that all the grandchildren be treated equally, he then said then they get nothing and we donate the money to our college. Which I do not want. We've been fighting for days and he's wearing me down. It's all hypothetical and this may not even be an issue.

Am I right to make a big deal about this?

Also, the money is from his career/job. So while he hasn't mentioned it at all, I feel wrong to force him to do something he doesn't want to with money that he technically earned. Any advice? Any argument I can use? My only argument is that it may make some innocent child feel horrible someday and there is more than enough unless our children become the Duggars or something. His argument is that he feels responsibility for biological descendants but not someone our child choses to raise. It would also worded that if by some reason our children don't raise their biological children (i.e. our children lose custody or chose to adopt out our biological grandchildren; they would still get access to the trust as long as they are biologically related to both of us.) The only exception he's willing to make is if our children cannot biological have children of their own and have tried IVF/fertility treatments i.e. it was a last resort.

tl;dr We don't have any grandchildren yet but my husband wants only our biological grandchildren to inherit access our family trust. I think that's unfair. What should I do?



Submitted April 21, 2021 at 02:05PM by Plane-Astronaut-9657 https://ift.tt/3dD4c5H
My(31F) husband(31M) wants to disinherit any future adopted grandchildren. I don't. What do I do? My(31F) husband(31M) wants to disinherit any future adopted grandchildren. I don't. What do I do? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on April 21, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.