Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (39m) Love Watching Movies and Television Shows, but My Partner (29f) Insists That We Watch Everything Together.

Preface: I know this is light-weight stuff compared to a lot of the stuff in this sub. It's probably going to seem really petty or insignificant but I really am struggling with this and would like some honest advice...

I LOVE watching movies, and all kinds of television shows. We live in a golden age of content and it's my jam. My partner of several years likes many of the same kinds of movies and shows I do. But she isn't as passionate about watching things.

She doesn't particularly like going out as much to the movies, and she gets bored with longer shows easily, or checks out while we watch them and then complains that they aren't interesting. She has to be in *just* the right mood to watch certain shows, and insists we finish a series together before moving on to something else, even if she isn't actually enjoying it.

She isn't motivated to consume content very quickly, but at the same time she is crazy about someone else possibly spoiling something. She hates watching something if she knows someone else in the room has seen it before her - even if they are completely silent about it. She gets VERY grumpy when other people discuss something she "might one day watch" even vaguely. She'll get upset hearing even the tiniest, most irrelevant factoid about it. Even for a show that is several years old, she will get verbally loud and upset if someone starts to talk about it and has actually left a house party to avoid hearing about something when her demands to shut down the conversation were ignored.

I have a whole queue of dozens of movies and shows that I'm "not allowed" to watch until we watch them together. Some of them are literally 3+ years old at this point. We each have our own streaming profiles, but she has made comments about things in my queue, like "Make sure you don't watch that without me." or "Why is this in recently watched? You aren't watching any new episodes are you?"

One time I went to the cinema by myself while she was out of town and watched a movie she and I had never discussed or talked about. Some weeks later, I mentioned in passing to someone else that I'd enjoyed the film. She was upset that I was talking about it and I got griped at for a week after for "seeing it without her". She insists to this day that she still wants to watch the movie, but refuses to do so because I've already seen it.

So these days, I find myself just simply not mentioning or expressing interest in ANYthing that I am excited about because I know she'll lock it down and I won't get to watch it for months if not years. Instead I watch it at work, or when she's not around, and then just have to make sure I never mention seeing it. It's ridiculous.

What's a reasonable compromise?

tl;dr - My girlfriend hates spoilers but doesn't want to watch shows quickly. She's super controlling about what I can and cannot watch with her and it's wearing me out.



Submitted December 30, 2019 at 12:54PM by MarqNiffler https://ift.tt/36n97Sc
I (39m) Love Watching Movies and Television Shows, but My Partner (29f) Insists That We Watch Everything Together. I (39m) Love Watching Movies and Television Shows, but My Partner (29f) Insists That We Watch Everything Together. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on December 30, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.