Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I [34M] didn’t get a present for girlfriend’s [31F] moms dog and I’m in trouble

Me: Dylan 34 Girlfriend: Jen 31 Her mom: Monica [50+F]

Title says a lot of the story… Apparently my new girlfriend’s mom is really mad that I got presents for everyone in her family but didn’t include the dog. They’re a “dogs are family” type family, not a “dogs are pets” family, and we’ve been together for about 13 months, so this is our first holiday season together. Last year we had just started hanging out together a few weeks before, and while I got her a little gift for the holidays, I didn’t meet her family for a while obviously.

I live about 60 mins from where her parents live (she’s from the Chicago suburbs originally, I’m from NY and live in lakeview now. I went home for thanksgiving and stayed here for december with her family.) In the morning I got up and drove to their house to join them for christmas.

Her mom basically gave me the silent treatment after present opening was done which I didn’t notice at first but became obvious that she was mad at me about something. I heard her and Jen talking heated in their bedroom a bit after lunch on christmas morning and stayed away until she came out, and Jen told me what was up. I said some goodbyes and then went home.

I got everyone in her family a gift… I got her sister a subscription to a leftist politics magazine I think she would be into, her dad some nice coffee beans from hawaii (he loves coffee), her mom a sampler of different peanut butters and some hand lotion my girlfriend recommended that she’d like. Jen at no point suggested I get the dog a gift or said this might be a problem and is kind of at a loss for why Monica is so upset that I didn’t get the dog a treat or something. Probably something else going on in the background but she’s taking it out on me. I asked her why this is happening / if this has come up before, and she’s also totally baffled that her mom was upset by this or for some reason is mad at me about it.

This seems so weird and out of left field. I’ve dated and had plenty of partners before, spend holidays with other families, and it’s never come up that I would get my partner’s parents pet a gift…

TL;DR: Spent xmas with new gf’s family, got everyone in her family a gift except their dog. Mom is no longer speaking to me and Jen doesn't know how to help me.

What do I say or do to be cool with my GF’s mom again, or ask better questions to understand wtf is going on? Do any families do lots of presents for their pets and how do I cover for that?



Submitted December 26, 2019 at 05:35PM by caleburrd https://ift.tt/360LrTz
I [34M] didn’t get a present for girlfriend’s [31F] moms dog and I’m in trouble I [34M] didn’t get a present for girlfriend’s [31F] moms dog and I’m in trouble Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on December 27, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.