Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (19F) family calls my sister (14F) fat even though she is not

My family is Asian and they’re very critical of weight, especially my mother and two aunts. No one in my family is close to fat, we’re all an average weight and my sister is the skinny one. For reference we’re both 5’5" and I’m 120lb and she is 100lb. My mom sometimes calls me fat, a pig, or makes snarky comments if I’m eating junk food or getting a second helping. My aunts live in another country and when we meet up they always comment on how I’ve gotten fatter. It made me feel terrible and in high school I starved myself which then resulted in a binge eating disorder. When my dad noticed I wasn’t eating a lot he talked to me about how dangerous anorexia was, to which my mom said that being fat was worse. It was a horrible two years and it messed up my relationship with food, but now I am better.

Recently these past few months they’re starting to call my sister fat even though she is 100lb and totally fine. In the past they always talked about how skinny she was, but now if she eats a lot or goes clothes shopping for bigger sizes (you know, to replace clothes from her childhood) they say how she’s fat now. A picture of my sister was posted to a family chat and the first comment was my aunt saying how she looked fat, which my mom was happy to share with my sister. I messaged the aunt to stop but she ignored me. I don’t know how my sister feels about this because we haven’t really talked about it, mostly she just rolls her eyes at the comments and we make fun of how dumb and rude they are. I hate my mom and aunts for being adults who have to make comments about a healthy, growing teenager’s weight. My aunts are visiting this summer and I know they’re going to make more rude comments. I’m concerned that my sister will grow self conscious or develop some eating disorder. I don’t think my aunts will change because they are very stubborn, but my mom is nice in other aspects, how do I talk to her and get her to stop using the word fat? And should I say anything to my sister? - we’re close but she really hasn’t said much about it and I don’t want to make a big deal out of it.

TL;DR: Family calls sister fat even though she is skinny, worried it’ll mess up her body image, should I bring it up?



Submitted June 28, 2019 at 07:48PM by Okoimk https://ift.tt/2Ym8ILR
My (19F) family calls my sister (14F) fat even though she is not My (19F) family calls my sister (14F) fat even though she is not Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on June 29, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.