Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Bf (28m) and I (27f) disagree on a political issue in which I have personal stake

We've been dating for almost a year. I have asthma, which used to be severe as well as very difficult to treat, but has become less severe in the last 2 years. (As my Dr put it "we don't have any more treatment options for you", so I'm all on the medz.) One of the things that triggers my asthma is cigarette smoke, and every day for a number of years I've had to deal with the fear and discomfort of being subjected to other people's smoke - outside my home, outside my university, outside shops etc. I've been afraid that an asthma attack might kill me since my asthma responded poorly or not at all to emergency inhalers. Some places I've avoided going because I can't be around smokers, other places I've simply been unable to avoid. So, I'm overjoyed that smoking will be banned in some public places (outside schools, hospitals, some shops etc). My boyfriend, who's active in the local libertarian party, disagrees with the ban because it's an infringement of people's right to smoke. I consider the infringement on my ability to study, work, access medical care etc posed by allowing smoking to be far more serious.

As I see it, this is potentially a matter of life and death for me, as well as an issue of comfort and health. Ideally, I'd wish that my life partner had my back and was on my side, rather than vehemently opposed to something that will make my life a lot better. In general, I'm not too bothered by difference of opinion about politics, religion etc... But this is really getting to me, to the point where I'm considering ending things over it. Am I completely overreacting here?

I'd appreciate any input, thoughts, experiences.

TL; DR: because of my severe asthma I'm overjoyed about an upcoming smoking ban in some public places, to which my bf (28) is strongly opposed. I feel like I'd want a life partner to empathize and have my back on issues in which I have a personal stake, and I'm considering breaking up. I'd like to know if I'm overreacting, and hear others' thoughts and experiences



Submitted June 28, 2019 at 08:28AM by yeetaway23456 https://ift.tt/2XbaDlh
Bf (28m) and I (27f) disagree on a political issue in which I have personal stake Bf (28m) and I (27f) disagree on a political issue in which I have personal stake Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on June 28, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.