Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (29 F) feel like my boss (50s M) and my manager (40s M) have taken away my promotion/payrise due to my pregnancy, but still given me the responsibility / workload of the role. Also dealing with hostility from co workers in a small office environment

I've been employed in my current job for just over 5 years. I'm the youngest employee and when I started this job I was new to the industry. I work in a small office (13 people, ages ranging from mid 30s to 60s). Due to the small size of the company people within the same department are not allowed to take the same days off for holiday. This has lead to resentment whenever people want to use their holidays before they lose them at the end of the year and also when people take sick days. It's also difficult taking holiday when a lot of staff members have children and want the same days off during school holidays. FYI we don't close for Christmas, just the bank holidays.

Last year my partner of 5 years and I decided we would like to start a family, but I had a miscarriage. When my doctor told me I was going to miscarry I went into work the following day and acted like nothing was wrong (none of my co workers knew about my pregnancy).

I went to work while I was miscarrying but I reluctantly told my boss that I may have to take a few days off to go to hospital. I told him that I didn't want to disclose what the problem was (because I didn't want him to know I was planning to start a family). He said he understood and not to worry about it.

I had 3 days off sick. The miscarriage lasted for 2 weeks.

A couple months later my co worker announced her pregnancy. It was difficult for me but I got over it. Some time later I fell pregnant again but didn't say anything because I was scared of miscarrying again. I was also worried about being on maternity leave at the same time as my co worker.

In August my boss pulled me to one side and said he would like me to cover her position when she goes on maternity. His words were that I was "stagnating" in my current role and that he knew I could handle more responsibility, he also said I would be "compensated" for this. I didn't want to tell my boss about my pregnancy because I wanted that position and I knew it would jeopardise my chances. I also hadn't had my scan yet.

My boss then held a meeting where he said he was looking into candidates to cover my co workers maternity leave (even though he had told me that I would be covering it). He then went on to say that everyone in our company is skilled and experienced at their job etc but then singled me out and said that I was the least experienced person in the office.

My boss then said I could start training for my co worker's position, however, she went into labour early, so I just inherited her job with no training or guidance. I then had to announce my pregnancy as it was becoming obvious. I did not get the payrise I had been hoping for but I did receive a lot more work and responsibility.

Meanwhile, the atmosphere at work has become extremely hostile sometimes... My department consists of 6 people, myself included.

Since my co worker went on maternity another employee (senior) has now gone off sick due to stress. He said he couldn't handle coming in to his workload. My boss has just pushed the work onto me and my remaining co worker. I've been having to stay late at work and come in early every week.

I ended up at the hospital recently with bad abdominal pains. I took 1 day off sick. It's all my co workers seem to talk about. I was scared I was going to lose another baby. My co worker has been off for 2 months and no one has batted an eye lid.

Last month i had to cover a week of work on my own because my only 2 remaining co workers had booked the school break off at the same time. I had a doctors and a dentist appointment the following week and had planned to take 2 days off as holiday but my manager told me I wasn't allowed as I had to do a handover for when the other 2 came back to work. I was flexible and asked for half days to attend my appointments. After a lot of grumbling from my manager it was granted. Even though by law in my country I am entitled to attend midwife appointments on company time, I have been scheduling them in my lunch breaks or using my holidays in order to do the company and my co workers a favour because I feel guilty.

I had Thursday and Friday booked off this week. I asked if i could take monday off as well. My 2 remaining co workers said it was fine with them, although the part time lady looked really annoyed about it. My department manager asked me why I'm changing my holiday. I said I'm not, I'm just taking an additional day. In the end he accepted it but he had already made a scene about it in front of the whole office which was embarrassing. There have been other hostile encounters at work with my manager and boss lately but I feel like my post has become extremely long already...

TL:DR are my bosses treating me unfairly? Is it because I'm pregnant? Am I over reacting? I go on maternity leave in 2 months, should I just suck it up until then? Should I stop using my holiday to go to my midwife appointments and go on company time from now on? Was it unfair for my boss to give me my co workers position without the payrise he had mentioned before?



Submitted November 30, 2018 at 01:10PM by Sagepastry https://ift.tt/2U7zl5M
I (29 F) feel like my boss (50s M) and my manager (40s M) have taken away my promotion/payrise due to my pregnancy, but still given me the responsibility / workload of the role. Also dealing with hostility from co workers in a small office environment I (29 F) feel like my boss (50s M) and my manager (40s M) have taken away my promotion/payrise due to my pregnancy, but still given me the responsibility / workload of the role. Also dealing with hostility from co workers in a small office environment Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on December 01, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.