Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (29f) partners nephew (10) ask me what would happen if he wanted to kill himself

My partners nephews are awesome, and they love her like a 2nd mum. The older one has been asking me questions when auntie and mum are out of ear shot - usually cute or random things about life and school, and I kind of love it that he asks me and not his mum or auntie.

We had a day out we the nephews, some friends and their kids. Everything was fine, he was having fun, and then he got quiet and asked me the question in the title. For context this is the 2nd time he's talked about it, though last time he was talking about "not existing" and was sort of joking about it - we thought it was maybe because he dies and respawns in games, etc. But this time his tone and expression really scared me, especially since it was the 2nd time he's brought it up.

I didn't react well. My eyes went wide, and I told him "not to talk about that stuff" and not to joke about it. He repeated the question and I can't remember what I said. After we dropped them home, I told my partner, and of course we told his mum who chatted with him. He's told her "he was joking " and he's fine. I am however, worried that he won't now talk to me/anyone about these thoughts and feelings. And as the trusted confident who then went and told his mum, i might be doing further damage to him.

I was around his age when I first had those thoughts, and know how this serious this can be. It's why I freaked out. I'm unsure how best to support him. Do I a) leave for his parents to handle b) apologise for tattling but explain why I had to. I'd also love any advice from parents who have dealt w potential depression in kids in an age appropriate way, in case he talks to me about it again.

Tldr; 10 yr old asked me seriously about killing himself, and I freaked out, accidentally telling him "not to talk about that". Need advice on how to proceed age appropriately!



Submitted March 18, 2022 at 09:55PM by questioningreddit_72 https://ift.tt/8tBGbJO
My (29f) partners nephew (10) ask me what would happen if he wanted to kill himself My (29f) partners nephew (10) ask me what would happen if he wanted to kill himself Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on March 19, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.