Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

"My MIL (F/68) wants us to rent to my SIL (F/46) and I hate this idea."

I posted about inheriting property from a family friend and someone at AITA mentioned I was going to learn the depths people will sink to over property. True! Not as much from my play aunt's relatives who mostly have backed off since the reading of the will. She made this decision much earlier than anyone realized so the assumption it happened after she was sick turned out to be wrong. Probate and some other legal stuff is still going on, but now most of the discussion is about family heirlooms and pictures.

A whole new problem has entered in the form of my inlaws. Primarily my MIL and my SIL who is consistently in & out of my MIL's home. She works, has kids, no drugs. But she's terrible with money. Unbelievably so and can't keep stable housing as a result. She's also a slob. Now the house we inherited has a basement apartment. No one's used it in years so it would need cleaning and renovations, but it's a nice size (3 bed, 1 bath) and in theory we would probably be willing to rent it out. To literally anyone but my SIL.

My MIL and I have always gotten along great, she's very nice and one of my favorite people in general. Her biggest flaw? She refuses to face the fact that my SIL is the root cause of her own problems. It's always "Oh they cut her hours, her landlord raised the rent with no warning, she didn't know that check would bounce" sorts of stories. And if my SIL was 22 some of that might make sense. She's 46. In the time I've known her there's been a bunch of bad jobs, landlords and checks. At least a dozen of them, and for the last 2 years my in laws have had my nieces and nephews with them while my SIL was wherever it is she lives now. I quietly think she's abandoned her kids though my MIL is convinced that she'd have the kids with her if she could get into a big enough apartment again. She asked my husband to talk to me about renting it to my SIL.

He's fine with saying No. I feel like an asshole even though I don't want to rent my SIL because my MIL is the one asking. She's always been warm and welcoming and honestly just a dream mom figure to have in my life. If it were her and my FIL I would already be figuring out the renovation budget and insisting that they pick the new finishes. My oldest niece and her siblings? Move right on in and give my in laws their home back in retirement. But my SIL is just...bratty 46 year old. She most likely won't pay rent, she definitely won't keep the place clean and it will be miserable and damage a bunch of currently great relationships. So will saying No. Is there a way to navigate this?

TLDR: Inherited property, my MIL wants me to let my messy irresponsible SIL rent from us. We know this is a bad idea but so is flat out saying no.



Submitted March 31, 2019 at 03:03PM by MikkiTh https://ift.tt/2TN4wBZ
"My MIL (F/68) wants us to rent to my SIL (F/46) and I hate this idea." "My MIL (F/68) wants us to rent to my SIL (F/46) and I hate this idea." Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on March 31, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.