Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Should I (24F) call my friend and apologize?

For many years, I (24F) was really close friends with a girl named Savannah (24F). We met in college and became really close ... or so I thought. Savannah I were opposites in many ways. She is very beautiful blonde woman, and really sweet and outgoing. I am pretty too but also awkward and confrontational. I am on the autism spectrum, and had trouble making friends all my life. Savannah was the one to include me in her group of friends, and invite me places. "We are besties now!" I've never had anyone else tell me that before. She was a big extrovert and would typically be the one planning parties and events.

One year ago, when I came back to our college state from Idaho, she offered to come over to my apartment and help me unpack. It was then that she told me she was engaged to Eric (25F). I have always found Eric attractive, but didn't say anything. They had been dating for years, but things had just gotten real! I ignored my shattering heart and congratulated her while she showed off her ring and engagement photos. Some girls seem to have everything just handed to them, I thought. Savannah was one of them.

"And you will definitely be on the guest list!" she told me. I had never been invited to wedding before (sad, I know), and I was excited! Even three months before the wedding, I bought a beautiful wedding guest dress from Michael Kors. I even booked a hair and nail appointment for the day of the wedding. This was gonna be FUN!

Savannah has always been lively, outgoing, and popular, and her wedding was the major event of the town. All my friends were talking about it. I always had a good fashion sense, so other girls would ask me what I plan to wear to it. We all had a sleepover at Savannah's house and watched "Bride Wars", and she handed me a pink invitation for the Rehearsal Dinner. She showed everyone the wedding dress she chose, and looked gorgeous in it! I had never been more envious of someone.

However, within a few weeks, I knew something was off. All my other friends had gotten wedding invitations in white envelopes, but I never did. I just had the pink rehearsal dinner card (which everyone else had also gotten) but not the wedding invitation. I was confused. Why would she just invite me to the rehearsal dinner but not the wedding?

Thinking it might have been an oversight, or maybe the envelope got lost in the mail, I decided to talk to Savannah about it. I was wondering if she indeed just wanted me to come to the rehearsal dinner but not the wedding.

Turns out, she meant exactly that. "If a spot opens up at my wedding, I'll let you know!"

I was really hurt, especially by the fact that she'd told me I'd be invited and asked me to save the date. Also, Redditors, how would you feel being told by your good friend that you could come to an event if someone else couldn't make it?

A week before the wedding, I got a phone call. It was from Savannah. Sure enough, someone had gotten sick, and guess what? They had a spot for me now! (By the way, she didn't give me an envelope or anything, just called and told me that a spot opened up I could come now!! Over the phone. I don't know about you, but I would NEVER call and tell someone they could come to my event as a Plan B after someone more important got sick.)

Because keeping my dignity was important to me, I politely declined going to both the RD and the wedding. I congratulated her and wished both her and Eric the best in their marriage.

(Don't worry, I still found a place to wear my Michael Kors dress - college graduation!)

A few months passed, and I hadn't heard from Savannah at all. Then the texted me out of the blue to tell me how much fun married life is, and sent me pictures from their honeymoon in the Bahamas.

I simply replied, "if a spot opens up in the list of people I'll ever speak to again, I'll let you know."

This was last night. Savannah doesn't even get the reference, and just replied "huh?"

EDIT: I never meant to end the friendship, what I said was meant to be more of a sarcastic joke.

I am instantly full of regret. Was I too harsh with Savannah? Should I call her and apologize?

Tl;dr: My (then 23F) friend (then 23F) lined me off her wedding list, and I told her off in a rude way.



Submitted February 05, 2023 at 11:42PM by OtherwiseChance3318 https://ift.tt/SZgsuGJ
Should I (24F) call my friend and apologize? Should I (24F) call my friend and apologize? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on February 06, 2023 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.