Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (25F) brother (35M) is unmedicated and mentally ill - I am worried for my family’s safety

My brother (35M) lives at home with my parents. He is mentally ill, but undiagnosed and untreated. He has delusions, hallucinations, paranoia, etc. He truly believes the world (government) is out to get him.

For as long as I can remember he has been violent (punching holes in the wall, getting aggressive with family members). This is something I thought he would eventually 'grow out of' (as the younger sibling by 10 years I never really understood what was going on) but it has clearly emerged as a severe mental illness.

His illness got significantly worse since a run in with the law (charged with assault) a few years ago. He still lives and emotionally abuses my parents (who are of retirement age). I do not live at home anymore (thankfully).

Recently, he has been laid off from work (due to COVID-19) and this has escalated his mental health issues. He has threatened to break things in my parents home, and I am worried he is one step away from seriously harming my family.

I have considered calling the police or even moving home and trying to get a restraining order. However, since he is an adult, and refuses to seek help, I am not sure what my options are. How can I get him out of my parents house? My parents won't act on this, and I am growing increasingly worried. I worry that by calling the cops he will refuse help and just come home and be angry and take it out on my parents or myself.

TLDR: adult brother mentally ill and potentially dangerous to family's safety, how can I get him help and out of my parents house?

Edit: located in Canada



Submitted April 30, 2020 at 06:34PM by HalfJapToTheMax https://ift.tt/2VUzUmh
My (25F) brother (35M) is unmedicated and mentally ill - I am worried for my family’s safety My (25F) brother (35M) is unmedicated and mentally ill - I am worried for my family’s safety Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on May 01, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.