Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Rent splitting with girlfriend (30F) who earns half

Hey so I (30M) am planning to move in with my girlfriend (30F) of 6 months as her company changed her office location to the most expensive place downtown.

She had been living in a 2-room apartment in a suburban area with rent at $400 per month, and commute was 20 minutes including walking time.

Problem is, her company will only subsidize $400 of the rent per month, and she wants to live somewhere bigger (as we're 2) and with the same commute time. The cheapest rent for a 3-roomer anywhere within a 20 minute commute radius is $2200, and she is only willing to topup $200 on top of the $400 her company provides.

For reference, I am only paying $1000 for a 1-roomer now and am comfortable with it. Also, the average commute in the downtown area is 1 hour, and even her CTO / other superiors advised that the commute is generally at least 40 minutes.

While I have no problems paying for the full amount of rent, I feel that she should at least contribute the same amount she has been paying for years. Am I in the wrong for asking for this?

She is a very traditional Japanese and expects the man to pay for everything, and said I should be elated that she is not pocketing the $400 from her company.

If she were to live alone, she'd be paying at least $800 out of her own pocket anyway, but somehow when we started looking for apartments together, she tells me that she is not willing to pay.

What should I do?

TL;DR:

Girlfriend doesn't want to pay for any of the increased rent, and I don't like the idea. Which of us should compromise?



Submitted May 18, 2022 at 07:52PM by AsianButBig https://ift.tt/tJAQ6lk
Rent splitting with girlfriend (30F) who earns half Rent splitting with girlfriend (30F) who earns half Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on May 19, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.