Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Tried to set what I thought was a reasonable boundary, shit imploded.

I live with my parents and am in school. I have many siblings with kids of their own. My siblings often bring their kids over for my parents to watch and, despite some slight annoyance from me at the noise, I have never discouraged it. I believe in connecting with family. I have finals coming up soon and am staring down 5 intense exams/simulations that will make or break my grade and my progression in this academic program. I asked my parents if they would support me in asking my siblings if they would try to avoid bringing the kids by for a 10 day period right at the end of the semester when I will be studying for and taking finals. I did not think it was an unreasonable request and neither did my parents. They agreed.

Well, my sister ended up bringing her kids over tonight which was planned in advance and I had zero problem with. My mom mentioned to her about trying to avoid dropping the kids off during that time period in late April, early May and she instantly got really defensive. Then she left and her husband started furiously texting my mom, bitching her out for daring to agree with me on that. He even kept threatening to come back and pick up the kids, when no one suggested that. I texted him back trying to diffuse it, basically explaining that I asked for it and my parents agreed, it wasn’t personal but I live in this house too and feel this is important to my success and peace of mind. He immediately twisted my every word, calling me selfish and evil, saying I don’t want my parents to help them (which wtf), saying I specifically told them not to help, etc. I didn’t even know if they would need a babysitter when I first brought the idea up to my parents! I was just trying to guarantee a short period of quiet for study and instead I’m painted as an evil villain.

I know raising kids is a nightmare, that’s why I don’t have any. I empathize. They are under a lot of stress. But so am I. Was I wrong? What should I do?

Tl;dr: my sibling thinks I’m the spawn of Satan for asking for 10 childfree days so I can study for my final exams.



Submitted April 23, 2022 at 12:25AM by HillbillyOfTheDesert https://ift.tt/2T09HRA
Tried to set what I thought was a reasonable boundary, shit imploded. Tried to set what I thought was a reasonable boundary, shit imploded. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on April 23, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.