Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My parents want to smoke around my baby

My (33m) parents (57f & 59m) still smoke.

This never affected me much as a kid but once my wife (30f) got pregnant she couldn’t stand the smell of their place. My mom will sit in the basement and smoke or they will stand by the oven vent. The whole house smells of smoke.

I’ve always hated it and throughout my childhood they would make promises to quit but never really tried.

Once my wife got pregnant, she stopped going to their house because it would make her sick and we had a sit down with my parents to explain that as long as they continued to smoke, especially in the house that their future grandchild would not visit the house.

Its now been 15 months, my child is 6 months old and has never visited them. They will stop over occasionally for 20 minutes to visit and see the baby but that’s about it. For a while my mother claimed to have quit smoking but I caught her several times so I know she lied to me.

My dad still makes the argument that smoking isn’t that bad and that 2nd hand smoke has no effect.

Christmas is approaching and I don’t know what to do. We usually spend the weekend at my parent’s vacation home but they smoke there too. I don’t want to ruin our family Christmas especially for my siblings but it’s clear that they value smoking more their grandchild.

What do I do? Stick to my guns and skip Christmas or go anyway and deal with it to keep the peace?

TL;DR: Parents smoke in the house but want me to bring the grandchild.

EDIT: I don't want to paint them as bad parents. I have had a good relationship with them. They have always supported me and I meet my dad at the bar most weeks to catch up. Its just the smoking part I hate.

EDIT2: Im sure I could get them to smoke outside for the Christmas weekend, im just not sure that's enough.



Submitted October 30, 2019 at 05:54PM by RyanMobeer https://ift.tt/31YGmZn
My parents want to smoke around my baby My parents want to smoke around my baby Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 31, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.