Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (23f) don’t know how to get my parents (50s m&f) to treat me like an adult

I’m 23 and in my last semester of undergrad. I’ve got an office job (with benefits!) that wants to hire me full time when I graduate, and I’m currently looking at apartments to move into. Overall, I’m pretty self-sufficient, and doing very well for myself.

My parents either don’t seem to realize that, or don’t seem to care. I usually describe the situation as having the same amount of freedom as your average 15 or 16 year old. If I take longer than a few hours to reply to a text (being asleep or at work isn’t a valid excuse according to them), I get threatened with police welfare checks. They’ve also refusing to “allow me” to move into any apartment that they themselves haven’t personally viewed, despite living hours away from my college/office. It’s also been implied that I’m not smart enough to read and sign a lease agreement without parental supervision. My dad has lectured me in front of other adults about having two small tattoos (neither of which can be seen when I’m in business casual).

The last straw was probably over the weekend when my friend tagged me in a picture on Facebook. I’ve recently dyed my hair, and less than half an hour after the picture went up I got a call from my mom absolutely freaking out because I didn’t get her permission to change my hair color.

Gentle reminders that I’m 23 and not 13 are laughed off. Flat out telling them that I’m an adult and I’d like to be treated as one is met with denial. Its exhausting, and I’m slowly losing my mind over it. I don’t know how to get the point across.

TL;DR Basically the title.



Submitted October 29, 2019 at 03:05PM by error404_userfound https://ift.tt/2PwJ6ur
I (23f) don’t know how to get my parents (50s m&f) to treat me like an adult I (23f) don’t know how to get my parents (50s m&f) to treat me like an adult Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 30, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.