Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

How do I [M27] decline a wedding invitation from a friend [F27] of 15 years without damaging the relationship

A month ago I was invited to a friend's wedding (in 2 months from now). I have known the bride since we were kids (and the groom for maybe 7 years) although we have not been "close" for 4 or 5 years.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety issues for some years now. I've been medicated and hospitalised within the last 2 years. These friends are only somewhat aware of this. I think going to the wedding would seriously impact on my mental health.

This is because this circle of friends is all very successful. Many of them are quite wealthy now. I don't begrudge this, they're all very talented and I am happy they are so happy.

In comparison I would consider myself a failure at this point in time. I've had a few career and education problems and now I'm unemployed with no college degree.

The anxiety of having to face people and explain this has led to many close friendships deteriorating to nothing over the last 5 years. I have become quite reclusive. Many of these people (and others) will be at this wedding and it would unavoidable.

Add to this I can't afford the travel/accommodation and/or suit etc.

How can I write an RSVP declining the invitation without burning this bridge forever?

tldr - How can I decline a wedding invitation (for mental health reasons) without burning a childhood friendship.



Submitted August 05, 2019 at 01:23PM by throwaway30043004 https://ift.tt/2KhRbQz
How do I [M27] decline a wedding invitation from a friend [F27] of 15 years without damaging the relationship How do I [M27] decline a wedding invitation from a friend [F27] of 15 years without damaging the relationship Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on August 06, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.