Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (29F) want to bail before Thanksgiving dinner with family

My 2 brothers and I moved back home with my parents during Covid last year, and it's the first time we've all been home now since a few years. To note: for Thanksgiving we usually prepare the traditional feast and celebrate it just the 5 of us (2 parents, me, 2 brothers). All of us help out, and cook certain dishes, and it just feels really special and loving.

Also during the year, my parents throw big dinner parties (9-15 families attendance) a few times a year. But obviously we couldn't do any gatherings the last 2 years. Our area is 80%+ double-vaccinated, so they thought of inviting 4-5 families for our Thanksgiving dinner to start off the social calendar. These parties usually start out at 7pm and end right past midnight.

When I heard this was the plan, both my brothers and I weren't super onboard. I personally would just like it to be a quiet and homely celebration of just us like we always do, and, honestly, I am kind of tired of these big parties my parents throw. Growing up when I was a kid, I had no choice but to help during these parties (being a host, tending to the kids, etc.) but after I moved out, I avoid visiting home if I know my parents are hosting that weekend.

Even though the three of us kids weren't super into it, we understand that it's my parents' house and their choice. Also they've already sent out invites, so we respect their choice. I'll help clean and prep as the day gets closer.

However, on the day of, I'm thinking of renting a hotel room and just having a "me night". I.e. I'll help my parents prep until around 6pm, then leave alone and stay in a hotel, having some peace and quiet, and return next morning. So I'll be missing Thanksgiving.

TLDR; Thanksgiving is literally a day to celebrate being around your loved ones and I'm choosing to leave. I just hate these big parties where I barely know these people and often I have to sit and make small talk to my parents' friends' kids.



Submitted November 20, 2021 at 08:00AM by TAmandatory https://ift.tt/30G5F7q
I (29F) want to bail before Thanksgiving dinner with family I (29F) want to bail before Thanksgiving dinner with family Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on November 20, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.