Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (26F) friend (24F) has been taking advantage of me for the last year

A friend (24F) of mine (26F) asked me to volunteer as a friend for her future company. I accepted gladly because, y'know, she's my friend! I wanted to support her to the best of my ability.

I worked much harder than usual non-paid individuals and even constructed videos, audio, voice-over, and more for her. She never treated me with respect in this time - the last year.

I had known this friend for 3.5+ years and trusted her, but she changed once she started receiving money from her business adventures.

As time went on in the last year, and after I lost my little sister in May, she's treated me differently. She started treating me as her subordinate and treated me poorly despite not paying me a lick. Despite being my friend, she didn't contact me once after I lost my little sister; I had to reach out to her and ask if she still needed my services (red flag)!

I had done more than 3.5+ years of free work as per her request and realized my work was unappreciated too late. The last event, on Sunday, I arrived late after driving more than 80 miles. I messaged her during my drive (I stopped to contact her) that I would be late, and she was fine with it.

We talked that night, and all was fine; she was even tipsy at the event and gave me tons of hugs. Two days later, she messaged me to scold me for being late and told me she was "appreciative of external services (video and audio and whatnot)," but that she was extremely disappointed in me for being late.

I asked why she didn't tell me the night of (despite knowing she was drunk), and she told me that it was a professional environment and that I should know better than to be late. She then told me she was my boss and I should know better again.

I told her my intentions were helping a friend, and that I wanted to see her succeed. I have worked on multiple projects with her over the last 3.5 years, and have taught her video editing skills and more. But she told me that was not satisfactory. Additionally, she wanted me to continue working for free while she explained I was her employee but behind-the-scenes, and she would still be my boss. For no pay. When this happened, she told me that only certain employees received pay, and I was not one of them.

I told her that either I am doing this as a friend, or I will be compensated. She then told me I should step down, but still, work for her as a video editor and social media consultant for no pay.

I told her I was not interested in working for her unless she paid. She refused, but still asked me to continue being unofficial staff, and continue editing videos for her again. I didn't respond.

In my state (California), not paying employees is illegal. Unpaid internships are illegal, and you are to pay staff the legal minimum wage.

We're still "friends," but I'm honestly horrified by what happened. I just don't know. How do I confront her about this - if I even should? Should I continue to be her friend?

tl;dr A friend of mine for over 3+ years took advantage of me and my services.



Submitted November 25, 2021 at 12:38AM by helpmeplease400 https://ift.tt/3la6IUG
My (26F) friend (24F) has been taking advantage of me for the last year My (26F) friend (24F) has been taking advantage of me for the last year Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on November 25, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.