Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Mother [52F] said she would divorce my [20M] father [51M] if I didn't revert to being actively spiritual

Where do I even begin?

First, I believe it's imperative that context is necessary to understand my current situation concerning my relationship with my mother. I was born in North Africa, and at some point, my parents decided to immigrate to Canada. So, they analogously compare the West to land, in which "all dreams are fulfilled." Last year, my dad got a dream job in the United States and currently lives there by himself until my brother finishes school in Canada. My mother is a feverish believer of a specific Abrahamic relationship (i.e. unnamed to deter divisive religious dialogue). I find myself currently apathetic to spirituality - given that I'm a 20-year-old male presently going through an engineering stream that has continuously pushed me to study frivolously, leaving me with little-to-no time. To add on, I also believe that I have ADHD, through looking at conceivable symptoms, and have pursued a therapist and psychiatric help. However, my mother believes that my issues are stemmed from a wavering belief in religion.

So what does she decide to do?

One quiet night, she starts an interrogation process in which she pushes for answers concerning where I stand spiritually. After responding with "I don't know" to her series of questions, she quickly admonishes me for being a non-believer. So, this isn't the first time I've been subjected to this experience, so I quickly brush it off. However, with tears in her eyes, she continues to reprimand me and then unexpectedly drops a bombshell ultimatum. "If you don't start praying and reading holy scripture, I will divorce your father. He didn't travel to Canada for his kids to forget about their religious beliefs." Let me candidly say; this was beyond traumatizing. I don't know how to feel, and honestly, given the current status of our relationship, I am strongly considering cutting ties with my mother. I think that leveraging divorce, a topic so conspicuously life-altering, to assert religious beliefs within someone is evil.

Also, let me say: this is just one of the varying examples of emotional abuse my mother has subjected us to throughout the year. From emotional neglect to her constant use of religion through conversation, it's become beyond unbearable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR - My mother is trying to leverage a potential divorce between her and my father to make me more spiritually "fulfilled."



Submitted November 23, 2021 at 05:26PM by confused_penguin_01 https://ift.tt/2ZhLeNK
Mother [52F] said she would divorce my [20M] father [51M] if I didn't revert to being actively spiritual Mother [52F] said she would divorce my [20M] father [51M] if I didn't revert to being actively spiritual Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on November 24, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.