Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (27f) stress over money is causing issues in my friend group (28f, 32f, 36m.)

Last month I had a pretty huge breakdown over the stress that money was causing me. I have a lot of debt and am desperately wanting to move, but that’s another story. Instead of continuing to mope around, I made a realistic and pretty strict plan of action to help me reach my financial goals. It basically entails working constantly and not spending money on anything, and since I’ve started sticking with it, I’ve been feeling worlds better emotionally as I inch towards my goals.

I work from home, (edit: its a real actual job, not an mlm or something lol) and my income is directly related to how many hours I put in. (I feel like this is important, if I still had a job I had to show up to everyday, I could just pick up shifts and not be physically available to hang out.)

My friends are in a significantly better place than me financially right now. I think they’re worried about me since I tend to not leave the house often, and I’ve tried to explain so many times that I’m fine, and the main cause of stress has been my lack of money recently, I just need a month or two to bang this out and get back in a good place. Going out and spending money on dinner/a beer/some activity only stresses me out more. They offer to spot me, but I usually decline. Borrowing money is just adding to what I owe, it’s essentially the same as me spending my own.

I feel like the main advice here is going to be to suggest free activities with my friends, which I do often and we sometimes partake in! The issue is, that my group of friends, at some point before/after the free hangout are going to want to order pizza, go to the store to buy ingredients for a big meal, go to the bar, etc. Once I say I can’t participate in these activities they tend to get frustrated because they want me to stay.

A good example is my one friend asked if I wanted to come to yoga which is $60 for the month. Again, I said I can’t afford that right now, and she said, “but this is an investment in your health! Physical and mental!” I already have a gym membership I use, and as far as mental health goes, like I said before, the main thing causing that to deteriorate is stress over money. I’m starting to feel like they think in my eyes, money is more important than friendship. That’s obviously not the case at all, my somewhat strict and frugal path to financial stability is the only thing giving me mental reprieve right now.

I hate being like this, I used to make a lot more and was always good with money, I was never the super frugal friend and was always able to participate in everything. This new job has potential to get to that level, and i enjoy the actually work more than anything I’ve ever done, I just have to put in the work.

How do I explain to my friends that I’m doing okay, I love them dearly, but just really need these couple months to get back on my feet?

TLDR I’m broke, have a plan to fix it, but my friends want me to keep spending money.



Submitted September 03, 2019 at 11:40AM by Lessmoneymoprobleems https://ift.tt/2HHWrLC
My (27f) stress over money is causing issues in my friend group (28f, 32f, 36m.) My (27f) stress over money is causing issues in my friend group (28f, 32f, 36m.) Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 03, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.